Monday, December 7, 2009

Non-stop quilt piecing.



Picture is of the Green chalice quilt completed
Dec 7, 2009
This is a Monday - the second Monday of my 2 week vacation to stay home and work on Fiber arts! I have vowed to get the Chalice Pulpit hanging done, and the " What can I do with these old teeshirts that meant so much ?" quilt- both done during this time off.

I thought of making the Chalice in 3D but have decided against and tomorrow I will sit down and cut out a new series of trunks, roots, boulder field, green calyx leaves and flames.

I am tempted to try Tulle for a ghost like Oak leaf behind the flame, to symbolize the Green Sanctuary.

But today I got side-tracked and created 9 crazy pieced blocks - they will be a wallhanging
I think it will be Nefertiti's Midnight garden. 6 blocks have a nidus of an Egyptian queen's head - in Profile as they always are, I have had that 10 inch piece in my scrap bag way too long - I just could not give it up, and now it enlivens a whole wallhanging. Can I name the other fabrics?
Well first of all none were purchased for this - it is from the stash. a little green print from the Ross Devor quilt made by my Discovery group. A turquiose leaves and purple grape fabric that I think was purchased for the octopus's Garden quilt. It has a stiff brick red that I may have had since I made the "trip around the world quilt" or maybe not so old- just when I made the red and purple quilt for Margaret - based on a 9 patch with a bump out.
It has a couple of solid purple and a magentas, one was made at a dyeing class..
A tiny purple on violet print for a light, some black with pinpoint gold dots.

This evening I layered the Tee shirt blocks with their backers and batting, but somehow I miscalculated and I'll have to unroll the bat again to cut 2 more pieces. The Ginny Beyers dark green for the sashing looks wonderful.

Cynca

No comments:

Post a Comment