Monday, March 6, 2017

Finally Chandra's Quilt is done

I did learn a lot about GIMP, and about Improvising, no, no, Creating something new.
The top was done for Chandra's wedding,  but no where near quilted. Then in Maine my sister Margaret helped me pick out the backing fabric - beautiful Peacocks pick up the colors of the quilt, Turquoise, green, rust, brown and gold - WOW!.  At the reception I circulated and asked people to sign their best wishes on a white piece of cloth. Later  those became part of the back; I placed those signed pieces inside "cartouches" that mimic her original rug.  I wonder if the rug is in the same room as the quilt?  I finished the quilt and Randi Heller of Jubilee Quilting  machine quilted it, and the motif centered itself on the square blocks.

I had to keep it long enough to enter it into the Non-judged portion of the MN Quilter's June 2016 Show in St Cloud.

Then I sent it to Chandra - in time for her first Wedding Anniversary.

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Chandra's quilt

Several months ago I told Chandra, my niece that I would make  her a wedding quilt.
We talked about color, she and Adam Ivy  have a rug they really like the colors of. But this photos of the rug  when sent by the internet  distorted the colors somewhat.   So at Nat's memorial she gave me the paint sample chips that match it exactly.
The Rug:

I have used Jinny Beyers  book on color and decided to make a palette, to add the colors in between  which can blend  her color together on a continuum.

 Her colors  were mostly Dark and medium, only one  real light color. I will place the palette here:

I am laying them out on the back side of  a plastic Desk Calendar Holder, the green arrows  show  the paint chips  she sent me.   Then  I was using Gimp  to try to lay out the design.

First two  blocks of the Judy Martin's   " Oregon Trail" block pattern.

I do see a problem, the rug has the deep dark  blue at the background, and I tend to make quilt blocks  with the background  white, and the design dark.  So I have made in Gimp  (by copying and pasting) a layout of the quilt - I think  it will be  7x7 blocks - each block 12 inches  84" square and then some borders.
The taking the math out  book recommends a 96x96 inch comforter for a California King bed,  but right now they have a queen size bed. SO I may add 10 inches  of borders.

This is a 5 block by 5 block rendition, I kept the center squares red, and varied the other things, I want the edges of the quilt to be dark and the center lighter.

Now I need a version with dark blue background.
I am learning a lot  about how to GIMP!

Saturday, March 15, 2014

The 52 Finish Challenge #2

This is a pair of socks I knitted for my son.  We visited a yarn store  Halcyon Yarn in Thanksgiving time 2013 and he said  he would like warm wool socks - he likes to keep up his supply he said.
So we bought  " Tuffy" a Canadian Sock yarn and I finished  the pain 3/15/2014.
I used  two ball simultaneously - one for each sock and tried to complete the same section on each before moving on, that way I DID finish both socks. Using the 2013Yankee  Knitter Designs sock pattern .
I think the pattern  must  be modeled on an older one because   it is called  Classic Socks #29.
Completion Date March 15, 2014

The 52 Finish Challenge # 1

February 2014 I am taking the challenge - to FINISH 52  things in the next 52  weeks.
The first one was to do the  Binding on the small wall hanging based on the book Piecing Workshop  by Ruth McDowell.  And it had been started at my Discovery Group  January Retreat - but not sure how many years ago 2009?
This was all complete except for binding for 5 years I guess. Finished the binding  March 2, 2014
I was staying home recovering from minor skin surgery and also suffering a cold.
BUT  I finished it!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Oct 4,2011
Fundraising quilts for Missing Children Minnesota Mystery Dinner Oct 29th, 2011
See MCM Blog

For Sunflower-Moonflower I found I had some pre-quilted black fabric to use for the backing. So the need for machine quilting was minimal. I used a straight stitch in the ditch. I loved the sunflower fabric and had it on hand for several years before it Begged to be used in this quilt. The black fabric of the big Ohio Star had tiny moons and stars and some shiny gold lines in it. SunFlower - Moon Flower:

Big Red Ohio Star Flannel quilt:

Big Ohio Star Flannel quilt:

Oct 4,2011

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

August 9, 2011
my current projects
making Flannel Big Ohio Star quilts to auction at the Missing Children Minnesota
Fall Dinner October 29.
I'd like to figure out what the time involved REALLY IS.
2) a scrap 9 patch blue and white
3) baby quilt for A Blumenfield baby - just need to sew on a binding.

2010 was very productive - The Green Chalice Quilt, and the Honor the Quarrymen quilt.
January 2010 Haiti earthquake quilt

Japanese Earthquake and tsunami donation quilts spring 2011


Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dec 22, 2009

Well I went back to work 12/14.
The Robin Hood vest got done and was work to good effect at the Wonderful Solstice celebration
Sunday Night.
The Chalice wall hanging, all is sewn down except the Hossana Block which represents the flame passing on.
The I think I will do the backing with whatever brown is left - and a frog block in the center.

I used several different techniques.
the roots and island of grey conglomerate - looking like rocks and beach- those I fused down and then did satin stich edging n the machine.
That took one entire afternoon.
The trunk is hand appliqued.
the leaves were all faced and turned, but the lower parts left open.
The major flame was faced and turned but with a layer of batting in it.
then the leaves and flames were stitched together - blind stitch except the top flaps were free
giving a 3-D effect.
I will get a picture in here soon.
Got to go to work - Doctoring that is...